Use hand-welding, flame-cutting, hand-soldering, or brazing equipment to weld or join metal components or to fill holes, indentations, or seams of fabricated metal products. Form and join metals to perform a designed function for a product within a manufacturing facility, or onsite construction and repairs. Work in a variety of settings from industrial garages to oil field rigs or even underwater!
Make a Difference
A Typical Day
- Weld components in flat, vertical, or overhead positions.
- Operate safety equipment and use safe work habits.
- Lay out, position, align, and secure parts and assemblies prior to assembly, using straightedges, combination squares, calipers, and rulers.
- Examine workpieces for defects and measure workpieces with straightedges or templates to ensure conformance with specifications.
- Recognize, set up, and operate hand and power tools common to the welding trade, such as shielded metal arc and gas metal arc welding equipment.
American Welding Society (AWS) certification
Education & Training
Regional employers often hire graduates of these programs.
Elsewhere in Michigan
Explore This Career
Try it before you buy it!
Shop class at your local high school
High school math and science classes
Find a mentor, buy a basic used welder and learn how to use it!
The Local Advantage Learning Pathway
Northwest Education Services (formerly TBAISD) Career Tech Center - Welding & Fabrication
articulates to NMC welding program
NMC - Level 1 - Welding Certificate
NMC - Level 2 - Welding Certificate
NMC - AAS in Welding
Pass American Welding Society (AWS) certification
Contact one of these companies and ask for an informational interview, to see if you can job shadow, or to find out if they hire interns.
Sample Job Titles...
- Assembly Line Brazer
- Fabrication Welder
- Maintenance Welder
- MIG Welder (Metal Inert Gas Welder)
- TIG Welder (Tungsten Inert Gas Welder)
- Welder Fitter
Hear It From The Pros
10-Year Job Growth Projections
Wage Range & Median 10-County Region
Annual Hires Regionally
Real World Career Pathways
It doesn't have to be a straight shot! Hear from people who have taken unique pathways.