Work under a veterinarian to assist in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases within animals. If you love animals, and want to be a vet, this can help you gain valuable experience about how veterinary offices work and can be a steppingstone to becoming a full vet later on in life.
Make a Difference
A Typical Day
- Administer anesthesia to animals, under the direction of a veterinarian.
- Care for and monitor the condition of animals recovering from surgery.
- Maintain controlled drug inventory and related logbooks.
- Perform laboratory tests to assist in the diagnosis and treatment of animal health problems.
- Prepare and administer medications, vaccines, serums, or treatments, as prescribed by veterinarians.
- Restrain animals during exams or procedures.
- Administer emergency first aid, such as performing emergency resuscitation or other life-saving procedures.
- Clean and sterilize instruments, equipment, or materials.
Technical Certificate or Associate Degree
Education & Training
Regional employers often hire graduates of these programs.
Explore This Career
Try it before you buy it!
Check out the YouTube Channel Vet Ranch (Warning! Some videos contain graphic content and upsetting stories. It is all recorded under the pretense of education and showing the fantastic, hard work that vet clinics do!) to get an idea of what daily life for a vet tech can be like! Volunteer at a local pet shelter if possible!
The Local Advantage Learning Pathway
Organizations recommend that you take the following class in your high school schedules to gain an advantage moving forward:
- 4 years Mathematics (algebra, geometry, trigonometry, pre-calculus)
- 4 years of lab sciences (biology, chemistry, physics)
- 4 years English composition
Take AP classes, when possible, to start to accumulate college credits. Check your what your high school offers.
Gain experience in your field. Apply for promotions locally or outside of your region.
Sample Job Titles...
- Certified Veterinary Technician (CVT)
- Emergency Veterinary Technician (Emergency Vet Tech)
- Internal Medicine Veterinary Technician (Internal Medicine Vet Tech)