Use statistics to make predictions about the outcome of anything that an insurance company may want to insure. Use math to figure out the probability of an unexpected accident. Calculate the cost to deal with the fallout of that accident. Your goal is to keep insurance companies financially viable. Increasingly, as technology advances, deal with exciting areas of math and computer science such as AI and predictive modeling.
Make a Difference
A Typical Day
- Ascertain premium rates required and cash reserves and liabilities necessary to ensure payment of future benefits.
- Design, review, and help administer insurance, and pension plans, determining financial calculating costs.
- Help determine company policy, and explain complex technical matters to company executives, government officials, shareholders, policyholders, or the public.
- Provide advice to clients on a contract basis, working as a consultant.
- Analyze statistical information to estimate mortality, accident, sickness, disability, and retirement rates.
Education & Training
Regional employers often hire graduates of these programs.
Explore This Career
Try it before you buy it!
Ask your family about getting involved in finances. Make predictions about the types of expenses your family will need in the future, and keep track of how they turn out.
The Local Advantage Learning Pathway
Look into any advanced math classes available at your high school, if available, AP Calculus and AP Statistics may be good places to start.
You can also take some classes at Northwest Education Services' Career Tech Center. The Business program they have available may be of particular help.
Start your post-secondary education at a community college or university.
Work toward an Associate in Applied Science and/or a Bachelor of Science in Mathematics.
Sample Job Titles...
Actuarial Analyst, Actuarial Consultant
Hear It From The Pros
10-Year Job Growth Projections
Wage Range & Median Michigan
Annual Hires Regionally
Real World Career Pathways
It doesn't have to be a straight shot! Hear from people who have taken unique pathways.