Help people and businesses make sound financial decisions. Financial managers work with money constantly. They help their clients make decisions about managing their money, and can work in investing, banking, insurance, securities and other financial activities. Modern financial managers spend a lot of time working with financial applications and software.
A Typical Day
- Establish and maintain relationships with individual or business customers.
- Coordinate the activities of workers in banks, risk and insurance departments, or similar institutions.
- Write operational or risk reports for management analysis.
- Evaluate data pertaining to costs to plan budgets.
- Coordinate the approval or rejection of lines of credit or loans.
- Oversee the flow of cash or financial instruments.
- Prepare financial or regulatory reports required by laws, regulations, or boards of directors.
Education & Training
Regional employers often hire graduates of these programs.
Northwest Lower Michigan
Accounting Degrees and Certificates
— Northwestern Michigan College
Transfer guide from NMC to FSU in Big Rapids & at the University Center in Traverse City.
Transfer guide from NMC to Lake Superior State University.
Elsewhere in Michigan
Bachelor's in Accounting
Explore This Career
Try it before you buy it!
Get involved in your family budget, talk with your family about how they do their banking. If you have a job or allowance, try making your own budget.
The Local Advantage Learning Pathway
Take classes at Northwest Education Services' (Formerly TBAISD) Career Tech Center. They have classes that can prepare you for college level accounting.
Pursue an Associates' Degree in Accounting
Continue your education by transferring to a Bachelor's Program in Accounting like those at
And complete a professional certification, such as those listed in the other resources section.
Contact one of these companies and ask for an informational interview, to see if you can job shadow, or to find out if they hire interns.
Sample Job Titles...
Banking Center Manager (BCM)
Credit Administration Manager
Financial Center Manager
10-Year Job Growth Projections
Wage Range & Median 10-County Region
Annual Hires Regionally
Other Regional Career Resources
Learn more about Financial Managers at O*Net Online.
American Bankers Association Certification