Install and maintain all of the electrical and power systems for our homes, businesses and factories in accordance with relevant codes. Install, maintain, and repair electrical wiring, equipment, and fixtures. Electricians make sure that people and animals stay safe while bringing the incredibly important resource that is electricity to our daily lives. It is helpful to have an understanding of physics and math to do a good job with this career!
Make a Difference
A Typical Day
- Plan layout and installation of electrical wiring, equipment, or fixtures, based on job specifications and local codes.
- Connect wires to circuit breakers, transformers, or other components.
- Test electrical systems or continuity of circuits in electrical wiring, equipment, or fixtures to ensure compatibility and safety of system.
- Inspect electrical systems, equipment or components to identify hazards, defects and needed repairs, and ensure compliance.
- Advise management on whether continued operation of equipment could be hazardous.
- Use a variety of tools and equipment such as power construction equipment, measuring devices, power tools, and testing devices.
Pass Certifications to obtain journeyperson license
Education & Training
Regional employers often hire graduates of these programs.
Explore This Career
Try it before you buy it!
Northwest Education Services (formerly TBAISD) Career Tech Center – Electrical Occupations
Electronics Kits (available as STEM Kits at the Library)
The Local Advantage Learning Pathway
Sample Job Titles...
- Chief Electrician
- Control Electrician
- Industrial Electrician
- Inside Wireman
- Journeyman Electrician
- Journeyman Wireman
- Maintenance Electrician