Review settled claims to determine that payments and settlements are made in accordance with company practices and procedures. Confer with legal counsel on claims requiring litigation. May also settle insurance claims.Review claims, talk with the claimant, interview any witnesses, review records, and inspect property.
Make a Difference
A Typical Day
- Examine claims forms and other records to determine insurance coverage.
- Analyze information gathered by investigation and report findings and recommendations.
- Review police reports, medical treatment records, medical bills, or physical property damage to determine the extent of liability.
- Investigate and assess damage to property and create or review property damage estimates.
- Talk to or correspond with agents and claimants to correct errors or omissions and to investigate questionable claims.
- Interview or correspond with claimants, witnesses, police, physicians, or other relevant parties to determine claim settlement, denial, or review.
- Investigate, evaluate, and settle claims, applying technical knowledge and human relations skills.
- Adjust reserves or provide reserve recommendations to ensure those reserve activities are consistent with corporate policies.
Education & Training
Regional employers often hire graduates of these programs.
Northwest Lower Michigan
Business Administration Program
Elsewhere in Michigan
Davenport University - Bachelor's in Business
Explore This Career
Try it before you buy it!
The Local Advantage Learning Pathway
Northwest Education Services Business Careers or a similar program are a great place to start!
NMC’s Accounting degree or a similar program elsewhere would be a great next step.
Look for a 4-year program to transfer to. Davenport University has an excellent Business program. A similar program elsewhere would also suffice!
Sample Job Titles...
- Claim Representative
- Claims Adjuster
- Claims Analyst
- Claims Examiner
- Claims Representative
- Claims Specialist