This career gives you global opportunity for advancement. Map the underwater frontier, collect data for marine architecture, or monitor environmental conditions. You work with remotely operated vehicles (ROVs), SONAR, marine mapping instrumentation and data processing software. Marine Technologists specialize in the development, maintenance, and operation of instruments used to explore uncharted places. If you're interested in robotics, engineering and the maritime industry, this could be your dream career! Starting salaries can be 30-50% higher with a Bachelor's degree.
Make a Difference
A Typical Day
- Calibrate, deploy, operate, and maintain marine technology.
- Collect, process and synthesize data about the marine environment.
- Write and present reports to stakeholders about survey results.
- Coordinate with a team to ensure projects are completed on time.
- Opportunities to work and live locally, regionally or globally.
Associate or Bachelor's Degree
Education & Training
Regional employers often hire graduates of these programs.
Elsewhere in Michigan
Associate Degree in Marine Technology
— Alpena Community College
articulates to NMC for bachelor's degree
Explore This Career
Try it before you buy it!
Join your high school's robotics team, fix and troubleshoot machines at home or work in a shop, attend an engineering summer camp, try using remotely operated vehicles (ROVs) used on land, air or water
The Local Advantage Learning Pathway
Increase types of jobs eligible for and wages with a B.S. in Marine Technology -- a nationally recognized B.S. program with all graduates employed for a fraction of the normal university cost!
Contact one of these companies and ask for an informational interview, to see if you can job shadow, or to find out if they hire interns.
Sample Job Titles...
- Offshore Surveyor
- Marine Scientist/Hydrographer/Geologist/Geophysicist
- Data Processor or Hydrographic Data Processor
- Field Hydrographer, Hydrographer/Surveyor or Hydrographic Survey Technician
- Technical Operations Lead Offshore, ROV Pilot Technician
- Bathymetry (study of water body floor or bed)
Hear It From The Pros
10-Year Job Growth Projections
Wage Range & Median U.S.
Annual Hires Regionally
Real World Career Pathways
It doesn't have to be a straight shot! Hear from people who have taken unique pathways.
Marine Technologists living in Northwest Michigan (or elsewhere) may travel a high percentage of the time to other locations or onboard a ship rather than be locally employed. If working in the data analysis aspect of this career, they may be able to work remotely a significant amount of the time.
Combine Marine Technologist with NMC Surveyor courses and learn to measure and inspect things in a marine environment.
Career opportunities are available in technical sales with experience.