Clean teeth and examine oral areas, head, and neck for signs of oral disease. May educate patients on oral hygiene, take and develop x rays, or apply fluoride or sealants. Work closely with dentists, and help patients understand their treatment.
Make a Difference
A Typical Day
- Clean calcareous deposits, accretions, and stains from teeth and beneath margins of gums, using dental instruments.
- Record and review patient medical histories.
- See more occupations related to this task.
- Examine gums, using probes, to locate periodontal recessed gums and signs of gum disease.
- Feel and visually examine gums for sores and signs of disease.
Associates Degree in Dental Hygiene
Education & Training
Regional employers often hire graduates of these programs.
Northwest Lower Michigan
NMC transfer to Ferris State University Dental Hygiene
Elsewhere in Michigan
Ferris State University in person, Dental Hygiene Degree
University of Michigan, 2-Year Dental Hygiene Degree
Explore This Career
Try it before you buy it!
Visit the Northwest Ed (formerly TBAISD) Career Tech Center Health Sciences program and consider attending.
The Local Advantage Learning Pathway
Northwest Education Services (formerly TBAISD) Career Tech Center - Allied Health
NMC transfer to Ferris State University program for Dental Hygiene
Transfer to Ferris State University Dental Hygiene Degree
Sample Job Titles...
- Pediatric Dental Hygienist
- Registered Dental Hygienist (RDH)