Assist dentists, set up equipment, prepare patient for treatment, and keep records. You work closely with dentists and oral surgeons to make sure patients are happy and knowledgeable about their treatment.
Make a Difference
A Typical Day
- Prepare patient, sterilize or disinfect instruments, set up instrument trays, prepare materials, or assist dentist during dental procedures.
- Record treatment information in patient records.
- Expose dental diagnostic x-rays.
- Take and record medical and dental histories and vital signs of patients.
- Assist dentist in management of medical or dental emergencies.
Dental Assistant program certificate or associate's degree
Education & Training
Regional employers often hire graduates of these programs.
Northwest Lower Michigan
Dental Assistant (AAS) Degrees and Certificates
— Northwestern Michigan College
Online Administrative Dental Assistant Training Program
— North Central Michigan College
Explore This Career
Try it before you buy it!
Ask your family dental assistant about their career!
The Local Advantage Learning Pathway
Enroll in Northwest Education Service’s Health Sciences Program to learn basic skills needed in a healthcare career.
Ask your counselor about advanced science courses available, including anatomy or chemistry, and advanced placement (AP) courses that can earn college credit.
Get a job at a local dentist office and apply yourself to advance your career.
Sample Job Titles...
- Certified Dental Assistant (CDA)
- Certified Registered Dental Assistant
- Dental Assistant (DA)
- Expanded Duty Dental Assistant (EDDA)
- Oral Surgery Assistant
- Orthodontic Assistant (Ortho Assistant)
Hear It From The Pros
10-Year Job Growth Projections
Wage Range & Median 10-County Region
Annual Hires Regionally
Real World Career Pathways
It doesn't have to be a straight shot! Hear from people who have taken unique pathways.