Assist dentists, set up equipment, prepare patient for treatment, and keep records. You work closely with dentists and oral surgeons to make sure patients are happy and knowledgeable about their treatment.
Make a Difference
A Typical Day
- Prepare patient, sterilize or disinfect instruments, set up instrument trays, prepare materials, or assist dentist during dental procedures.
- Record treatment information in patient records.
- Expose dental diagnostic x-rays.
- Take and record medical and dental histories and vital signs of patients.
- Assist dentist in management of medical or dental emergencies.
Completion of a Dental Assistant program at a community college or a technical school and receive a certificate or associate degree.
Education & Training
Regional employers often hire graduates of these programs.
Northwest Lower Michigan
Dental Assistant (AAS) Degrees and Certificates
— Northwestern Michigan College
Online Administrative Dental Assistant Training Program
— North Central Michigan College
Explore This Career
Try it before you buy it!
Tour Northwest Education Services (formerly TBAISD) Career Tech Center: Allied Health with your class in school or on your own.
The Local Advantage Learning Pathway
Enroll in Northwest Education Service’s Health Sciences Program to learn about how to work in a healthcare environment.
Ask your counselor about advanced placement (AP) math and science courses available to take to try to obtain college credit.
Get a job at a local dentist office and apply yourself to advance your career.
Sample Job Titles...
- Certified Dental Assistant (CDA)
- Certified Registered Dental Assistant
- Dental Assistant (DA)
- Expanded Duty Dental Assistant (EDDA)
- Oral Surgery Assistant
- Orthodontic Assistant (Ortho Assistant)
Hear It From The Pros
10-Year Job Growth Projections
Wage Range & Median 10-County Region
Annual Hires Regionally
Real World Career Pathways
It doesn't have to be a straight shot! Hear from people who have taken unique pathways.