Test, adjust, or repair biomedical or electromedical equipment. May troubleshoot, install, and maintain medical devices used in patient treatment and diagnosis.
A Typical Day
- Inspect and test malfunctioning medical or related equipment, following manufacturers' specifications, and using test and analysis instruments.
- Test or calibrate components or equipment, following manufacturers' manuals and troubleshooting techniques, using hand tools, power tools, or measuring devices.
- Keep records of maintenance, repair, and required updates of equipment.
- Perform preventative maintenance or service, such as cleaning, lubricating, or adjusting equipment.
- Advising and evaluating new equipment purchase decisions.
- Educating clinical staff on proper equipment use.
Associates degree or Military training
Education & Training
Regional employers often hire graduates of these programs.
Northwest Lower Michigan
Northwestern Michigan College
Associates of Applied Science for Biomedical Engineering Technologies
BioMedical Equipment Tech
Elsewhere in Michigan
Explore This Career
Try it before you buy it!
Check out HTM in a Box an interactive presentation about Biomed/Healthcare Technologies Manager careers (note: please add your name at the login to track usage)
The Local Advantage Learning Pathway
Northwestern Michigan College - Biomedical Equipment Tech
Get certified to increase wages, expand hiring opportunities or get promoted: take Biomedical Certification exam (CBET) and complete minimum 2 years of work experience
Contact one of these companies and ask for an informational interview, to see if you can job shadow, or to find out if they hire interns.
Sample Job Titles...
- Bio Medical Technician
- Biomedical Equipment Technician (BMET)
- Healthcare Technologies Manager
- Clinical Engineering
- Medical Equipment Repairer