Administer basic or advanced emergency medical care and assess injuries and illnesses. May administer medication intravenously, use equipment such as EKGs, or administer advanced life support to sick or injured individuals. Transport injured or sick persons to medical facilities.
Make a Difference
A Typical Day
- Administer drugs, orally or by injection, or perform intravenous procedures.
- Administer first aid treatment or life support care to sick or injured persons in prehospital settings.
- Assess nature and extent of illness or injury to establish and prioritize medical procedures.
- Attend training classes to maintain certification licensure, keep abreast of new developments in the field, or maintain existing knowledge.
- Comfort and reassure patients.
- Operate equipment, such as electrocardiograms (EKGs), external defibrillators, or bag valve mask resuscitators, in advanced life support environments.
- Perform emergency diagnostic and treatment procedures, airway management, or heart monitoring, during ambulance ride.
- Observe, record, and report to physician the patient's condition or injury, the treatment provided, and reactions to drugs or treatment.
State approved training program + certification
Education & Training
Regional employers often hire graduates of these programs.
Explore This Career
Try it before you buy it!
Visit a fire/EMT station near your home, they often have open houses during the summer!
Become certified as an Emergency Medical Responder to get some experience without any clinical requirements.
The Local Advantage Learning Pathway
Earn CPR certification before enrolling in a post-secondary emergency medical program.
Northwest Education Services (formerly TBAISD) - Allied Health program
You can take exams at 16 and apply for state certification at 18.
Articulate 43 credits toward Associates of Applied Science in Paramedic Science in partnership with NMC
Sample Job Titles...
- Paramedic (Emergency Medical Technician, Paramedic)
- First Responder
- Flight Paramedic
Hear It From The Pros
10-Year Job Growth Projections
Wage Range & Median 10-County Region
Annual Hires Regionally
Real World Career Pathways
It doesn't have to be a straight shot! Hear from people who have taken unique pathways.