Assess, treat, and care for patients with breathing disorders. Assume primary responsibility for all respiratory care modalities, including the supervision of respiratory therapy technicians. Initiate and conduct therapeutic procedures; maintain patient records; and select, assemble, check, and operate equipment.
A Typical Day
- Provide emergency care, such as artificial respiration, external cardiac massage, or assistance with cardiopulmonary resuscitation.
- Monitor patient's physiological responses to therapy, such as vital signs, arterial blood gases, or blood chemistry changes, and consult with physician if adverse reactions occur.
- Set up and operate devices, such as mechanical ventilators, therapeutic gas administration apparatus, environmental control systems, or aerosol generators, following specified parameters of treatment.
- Work as part of a team of physicians, nurses, or other healthcare professionals to manage patient care by assisting with medical procedures or related duties.
Registration/Licensure is necessary, Associates/Bachelors suggested
Education & Training
Regional employers often hire graduates of these programs.
Explore This Career
Try it before you buy it!
Northwest Education Services (formerly TBAISD) Career Tech Center, Allied Health: Respiratory Care
The Local Advantage Learning Pathway
Northwest Education Services (formerly TBAISD) Career Tech Center - Allied Health for basics in Medical Ethics, Law, Anatomy and Physiology
Allied Health Science Bachelor's Program at the University Center through Grand Valley State University
Contact one of these companies and ask for an informational interview, to see if you can job shadow, or to find out if they hire interns.
Sample Job Titles...
- Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation Respiratory Therapist
- Certified Respiratory Therapist (CRT)
- Clinical Coordinator of Respiratory Therapy
- Respiratory Care Practitioner (RCP)
- Respiratory Therapy Director