You'll prepare operating rooms for surgery; sterilize and supply equipment; prepare patients for surgery, such as washing incision sites; help surgeons and nurses during surgery by passing them instruments and other sterile supplies. Surgical Technologists are an important part of the surgery room, and help to improve the lives of patients.
Make a Difference
A Typical Day
- Maintain a proper sterile field during surgical procedures.
- Count sponges, needles, and instruments before and after operation.
- Scrub arms and hands and assist the surgical team to scrub and put on gloves, masks, and surgical clothing.
- Provide technical assistance to surgeons, surgical nurses, or anesthesiologists.
- Prepare patients for surgery, including positioning patients on the operating table and covering them with sterile surgical drapes to prevent exposure.
Education & Training
Regional employers often hire graduates of these programs.
Explore This Career
Try it before you buy it!
Take biology classes.
Are you comfortable in a hospital setting and watching blood samples being taken?
Explore Northwest Education Services Career Tech Center - Health Services program
The Local Advantage Learning Pathway
Northwest Education Services Career Tech Center - Health Services program
NMC has partnered with Munson Medical Center to offer an associates degree in surgical technology.
Contact one of these companies and ask for an informational interview, to see if you can job shadow, or to find out if they hire interns.
Sample Job Titles...
- Surgical Technologist
- Certified Surgical Tech/First Assistant
- Certified Surgical Technician
- Operating Room Surgical Technician (OR St)
- Operating Room Technologist (OR Tech)
10-Year Job Growth Projections
Wage Range & Median 10-County Region
Annual Hires Regionally
Real World Career Pathways
It doesn't have to be a straight shot! Hear from people who have taken unique pathways.