Perform maintenance and repairs to many types of aviation equipment. Work in both civilian and military settings to diagnose, adjust, and repair aircraft engines and assemblies. These professionals get the opportunity to become familiar with how we get around in the sky.
Make a Difference
A Typical Day
- Examine and inspect aircraft components including landing gear and hydraulic systems, to locate cracks, breaks, leaks, or other problems.
- Conduct routine and special inspections as required by regulations.
- Inspect completed work to certify that maintenance meets standards, and that aircraft are ready for operation.
- Read and interpret maintenance manuals, service bulletins, and other specifications
- Maintain repair logs, documenting all preventive and corrective aircraft maintenance.
- Modify aircraft structures, space vehicles, systems, or components, following drawings, schematics, engineering orders, and technical publications.
- Inspect airframes for wear or other defects
- Measure parts for wear, using precision instruments.
Associate degree or post-secondary certificate
Education & Training
Regional employers often hire graduates of these programs.
Northwest Lower Michigan
Aviation Degrees and Certificates
— Northwestern Michigan College
Elsewhere in Michigan
Aviation Maintenance Technology Degree
— MIAT College of Technology
Aviation Technical Operations
— Western Michigan University
Explore This Career
Try it before you buy it!
Spend time with your local flying club, and if you’re over 16, you can take flying lessons, and see if you enjoy being around planes.
The Local Advantage Learning Pathway
You can take automotive classes at Northwest Education Service’s Career Tech Center. Some of the skills will be transferable, and you can get the experience of working with mechanics.
NMC offers an Aviation program to get you acquainted with Avionics. Consider joining it or a similar program elsewhere!
Pursue a professional certification that can help you land the next job and grow in your career.
Contact one of these companies and ask for an informational interview, to see if you can job shadow, or to find out if they hire interns.
Sample Job Titles...
- Aircraft Maintenance Technician
- Aircraft Mechanic
- Aircraft Restorer
- Aircraft Technician
- Airframe and Powerplant Mechanic (A & P Mechanic)
Hear It From The Pros
10-Year Job Growth Projections
Wage Range & Median Michigan
Annual Hires Regionally
Other Regional Career Resources
Find more about Aircraft Mechanics and Service Technicians at O*NET Online.