Optometrists are doctors that specialize in the treatment of disorders and diseases of the eye. If you ever went to a doctor to get a prescription for glasses, then you’ve met an optometrist! If you can see the potential excitement in this career, consider checking it out!
Make a Difference
A Typical Day
- Prescribe, supply, fit and adjust eyeglasses, contact lenses, and other vision aids.
- Analyze test results and develop a treatment plan.
- Prescribe medications to treat eye diseases if state laws permit.
- Remove foreign bodies from the eye.
- Prescribe therapeutic procedures to correct or conserve vision.
- Educate and counsel patients on contact lens care, visual hygiene, lighting arrangements, and safety factors.
Doctoral Degree (OD)
Education & Training
Regional employers often hire graduates of these programs.
Northwest Lower Michigan
Start your educational journey at Northwestern Michigan College.
Check out this transfer guide to the Pre-Optometry Program at Ferris State University.
Explore This Career
Try it before you buy it!
Visit your local eye doctor. Get an eye exam! Ask to job shadow or view the process as a participant.
The Local Advantage Learning Pathway
Consider joining Northwest Education Services’ Allied Health Program to start your journey.
Enroll in a graduate program to complete your doctoral degree! Ferris State University’s program or a similar one offers a path forward.
Contact one of these companies and ask for an informational interview, to see if you can job shadow, or to find out if they hire interns.
Sample Job Titles...
- Doctor of Optometry (OD), Optometrist