Assist Civil Engineers with the production and construction of buildings, roads, bridges, and other infrastructure. Work under the supervision of a physical scientist or engineering staff to facilitate the maintenance, designs, or construction of infrastructure that makes modern life possible.
Make a Difference
A Typical Day
- Calculate dimensions, square footage, profile, and component specifications.
- Read and review project blueprints and structural specifications.
- Draft detailed dimensional drawings and design layouts for projects.
- Work with a supervisor to determine project details.
- Analyze proposed site factors and design maps, graphs, tracings, and diagrams to show findings.
- Prepare reports and document project activities and data.
- Report maintenance problems occurring at the project site to the supervisor.
Associate or Bachelor of Science (BS)
Education & Training
Regional employers often hire graduates of these programs.
Explore This Career
Try it before you buy it!
Check out some at home engineering activities here.
The Local Advantage Learning Pathway
Begin with a program at Northwest Education Services’ Engineering Academy.
Enroll in a 2-year program like NMC’s Engineering program to complete your prerequisite requirements.
Transfer to a 4-year college to specialize your educational experience, like Michigan Tech’s Civil, Environmental, and Geospatial Engineering programs, to take your career to the next level!
Contact one of these companies and ask for an informational interview, to see if you can job shadow, or to find out if they hire interns.
Sample Job Titles...
- Civil Designer
- Civil Engineering Assistant
- Civil Engineering Technician
- Design Technician
- Engineer Technician
- Engineering Assistant
Hear It From The Pros
10-Year Job Growth Projections
Wage Range & Median 10-County Region
Annual Hires Regionally
Other Regional Career Resources
Learn more about Civil Engineering Technicians at O*NET Online.
At Home Activities:
Click to explore.
Real World Career Pathways
It doesn't have to be a straight shot! Hear from people who have taken unique pathways.