Work on a team that prepares medications for patients under the direction of a pharmacist. May measure, mix, count out, label, and record amounts and dosages of medications according to prescription orders.
A Typical Day
- Receive written prescription or refill requests and verify that information is complete and accurate.
- Prepack bulk medicines, fill bottles with prescribed medications, and type and affix labels.
- Answer telephones, responding to questions or requests from customers or healthcare providers.
- Maintain proper storage and security conditions for drugs.
Complete an accredited pharmacy technician training program
Education & Training
Regional employers often hire graduates of these programs.
Explore This Career
Try it before you buy it!
Set up a job shadow through Munson Medical Center or a retail pharmacy
The Local Advantage Learning Pathway
Teamwork experience: involved in a team sport or participating or leading a club or large group project
Northwest Education Services (formerly TBAISD) Career Tech Center - Allied Health
Be hired as a pharmacy technician trainee at a medical health center or local retail pharmacy
Pass exam that is approved by the Michigan State Board of Pharmacy and then apply to become licensed in Michigan
Contact one of these companies and ask for an informational interview, to see if you can job shadow, or to find out if they hire interns.
Sample Job Titles...
- Certified Pharmacy Technician (CPhT)
- Lead Pharmacy Technician
- Inventory Specialist
- Licensed Pharmacy Technician
- Compliance and Regulatory Technician