Care for ill, injured, or convalescing patients or persons with disabilities in hospitals, nursing homes, clinics, private homes, group homes, and similar institutions. May work under the supervision of a registered nurse. Licensing required. Nurses with more credentials (ADN, RN, BSN, MSN) are higher paid and in higher demand, but LPNs provide essential day to day care to patients in need.
Make a Difference
A Typical Day
- Administer prescribed medications or start intravenous fluids, noting times and amounts on patients' charts.
- Observe patients, charting and reporting changes in patients' conditions, such as adverse reactions to medication or treatment, and taking any necessary action.
- Answer patients' calls and determine how to assist them.
- Measure and record patients' vital signs, such as height, weight, temperature, blood pressure, pulse, or respiration.
Non-degree certification (1 year) and state licensing exam (NCLEX-PN)
Education & Training
Regional employers often hire graduates of these programs.
Explore This Career
Try it before you buy it!
Tour Northwest Education Services Career Tech Center - Health Sciences Program.
The Local Advantage Learning Pathway
Start an ADN to LPN Nursing - Practical completion program at Northwestern Michigan College.
Contact one of these companies and ask for an informational interview, to see if you can job shadow, or to find out if they hire interns.
Sample Job Titles...
- Charge Nurse
- Clinic Licensed Practical Nurse (CLINIC LPN)
- Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN)
- Office Nurse
- Pediatric Licensed Practical Nurse (PEDIATRIC LPN)
- Home Health Licensed Practical Nurse (Home Health LPN)
- Private Duty Nurse
- Radiation Oncology Nurse
- Triage LPN (Triage Licensed Practical Nurse)
Hear It From The Pros
10-Year Job Growth Projections
Wage Range & Median 10-County Region
Annual Hires Regionally
Other Regional Career Resources
Learn more about Licensed Practical or Licensed Vocational Nurses at O*NET Online.
Munson Home Health Care employs LPNs
Licensed Practical and Licensed Vocational Nurses: Occupational Outlook Handbook: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (bls.gov)
ANA Enterprise | American Nurses Association (nursingworld.org)
AHIMA - American Health Information Management Association
Real World Career Pathways
It doesn't have to be a straight shot! Hear from people who have taken unique pathways.