May assist in the development of treatment plans, carry out routine functions, document the progress of treatment, and modify specific treatments in accordance with patient status and within the scope of treatment plans established by a physical therapist.
A Typical Day
- Instruct, motivate, safeguard, and assist patients as they practice exercises or functional activities.
- Observe patients during treatments to compile and evaluate data on their responses and progress and provide results to physical therapist in person or through progress notes.
- Confer with physical therapy staff or others to discuss and evaluate patient information for planning, modifying, or coordinating treatment.
- Administer active or passive manual therapeutic exercises, therapeutic massage, aquatic physical therapy, or heat, light, sound, or electrical modality treatments, such as ultrasound.
Associate Degree and receive a certification on National Physical Therapy Exam (NPTE)
Education & Training
Regional employers often hire graduates of these programs.
Explore This Career
Try it before you buy it!
Tour the Northwest Education Services Career Tech Center - Health Sciences Program
The Local Advantage Learning Pathway
Contact one of these companies and ask for an informational interview, to see if you can job shadow, or to find out if they hire interns.
Sample Job Titles...
- Certified Physical Therapist Assistant (CPTA)
- Home Health Physical Therapist Assistant
- Licensed Physical Therapist Assistant (LPTA)
- Outpatient Physical Therapist Assistant
- Physical Therapist Assistant and Nurse Aide
10-Year Job Growth Projections
Wage Range & Median 10-County Region
Annual Hires Regionally
Real World Career Pathways
It doesn't have to be a straight shot! Hear from people who have taken unique pathways.