Diagnose, treat, and monitor chronic illnesses and temporary ailments. Develop relationships with patients as their primary care provider. Increasingly, nutrition and other wellness-based practices are incorporated or used as the primary approach.
Make a Difference
A Typical Day
- Follow established surgical techniques during the operation.
- Operate on patients to correct deformities, repair injuries, prevent and treat diseases, or improve or restore patients' functions.
- Analyze patient's medical history, medication allergies, physical condition, and examination results to verify operation's necessity and to determine best procedure.
- Prescribe preoperative and postoperative treatments and procedures, such as sedatives, diets, antibiotics, or preparation and treatment of the patient's operative area.
Doctor of Medicine (MD) or Doctorate of Osteopathic Medicine (DO) and 3-7 years in residency.
Education & Training
Regional employers often hire graduates of these programs.
Explore This Career
Try it before you buy it!
- Job shadow a doctor.
- Explore closely related careers at Northwest Education Services Health Sciences Program
The Local Advantage Learning Pathway
Take AP or advanced biology, chemistry, physics and coursework recommended for pre-college.
Enroll in the Northwest Education Services Health Sciences Program
NMC Arts and Sciences Associates and transfer to 4-year college for pre-med studies.
Medical school, with internships and residency to become general practitioner or specialize
Contact one of these companies and ask for an informational interview, to see if you can job shadow, or to find out if they hire interns.
Sample Job Titles...
- Medical doctor
- Osteopathic doctor
- Holistic practice doctor
- Family practice doctor
Hear It From The Pros
10-Year Job Growth Projections
Wage Range & Median 10-County Region
Annual Hires Regionally
Real World Career Pathways
It doesn't have to be a straight shot! Hear from people who have taken unique pathways.