Conduct research that deals with the understanding of human diseases and the improvement of human health. Perform complex tests on patient samples using sophisticated microscopes and other equipment. The data they find plays an important role in identifying and treating cancer, heart disease, diabetes, and other medical conditions.
A Typical Day
- Examine and analyze blood, body fluids, tissues, and cells using microscopes, cell counters, and other high-precision lab equipment
- Relay and discuss test results with physicians and monitor patient outcomes
- Cross match blood for transfusions
- Perform differential cell counts looking for abnormal cells to aid in the diagnosis of diseases
- Establish quality assurance programs to monitor and ensure the accuracy of test results
- Oversee the work and training of medical laboratory technicians and laboratory aids
Bachelor's Degree and Certification
Education & Training
Regional employers often hire graduates of these programs.
Northwest Lower Michigan
Northwestern Michigan College with credit transfer to Ferris State University
Elsewhere in Michigan
Explore This Career
Try it before you buy it!
Take high school biology and chemistry classes and see if you enjoy learning these subjects and doing lab experiments.
The Local Advantage Learning Pathway
Work as Laboratory Aid while getting degree and gain employee tuition reimbursement.
To save on college expenses, start coursework at NMC and then transfer to Ferris State University to complete the degree.
Munson Healthcare offers required program internships to Ferris State University and Michigan Tech University students. Some local companies offer significant sign-on bonuses when hired!
Contact one of these companies and ask for an informational interview, to see if you can job shadow, or to find out if they hire interns.
Sample Job Titles...
- Clinical Laboratory Scientist
- Medical Technologist