Create and use helpful programs to visualize geographic information. Work on the development and maintenance of Geographic Information Systems. These programs combine information with geographic position to create informational maps, for example, Google Maps. If you are interested in maps, like working with computers, and enjoy programming, check out this career!
Make a Difference
A Typical Day
- Responsible for building and maintaining GIS databases
- Utilize GIS software to analyze the spatial and non-spatial information in the databases
- Identify patterns and trends through spatial mapping, developing mapping applications
- and tools and managing a digital library of geographic maps in various file types
- Typically work with customized software such as ArcGIS, ESRI, Smallworld, Python
Education & Training
Regional employers often hire graduates of these programs.
Explore This Career
Try it before you buy it!
Play around with GIS systems such as Google Maps or Google Earth and try some basic programming practice like at CodingBat.
The Local Advantage Learning Pathway
Take any available computer programming and geography classes at your high school!
Transfer from NMC to a 4-year program at one of the universities with an articulation agreement.
Contact one of these companies and ask for an informational interview, to see if you can job shadow, or to find out if they hire interns.
Sample Job Titles...
- GIS Analyst
- GIS Technician