Ask questions about markets and consumers, collect answers, and write reports on products and services to help businesses make decisions about how to best sell their product. This career is heavily steeped in mathematics and statistics, so be sure to check it out if you love crunching numbers to help make informed decisions!
Make a Difference
A Typical Day
- Ask questions and gather answers on consumer preferences and marketing strategies.
- Measure and assess customer and employee satisfaction.
- Think of and test methods and procedures for collecting all types of information.
- Measure the effectiveness of marketing, advertising, and communications programs.
- Seek and provide information to help companies.
- Predict and track marketing and sales trends, analyzing collected data.
Education & Training
Regional employers often hire graduates of these programs.
Northwest Lower Michigan
Complete your general studies at Northwestern Michigan College. Consider an emphasis in Business Administration or Marketing. You can also complete a Digital Administration and Marketing Certificate.
Elsewhere in Michigan
Pursue a bachelor's degree in market research, business, communication, or social science field. Expand on your education with a Masters of Science in Marketing Research from Michigan State University.
Explore This Career
Try it before you buy it!
Work with a club at your school to set up and advertise for a bake sale, or similar fund-raising experience.
The Local Advantage Learning Pathway
Northwestern Education Services (formerly TBAISD) offers an excellent Business Careers Program to start you off on the right foot!
Look at local options to such as the NMC Accounting Program to solidify your understanding of business-related topics
Consider transferring to a 4-year school to finish your degree:
- College of Business — Davenport
- College of Business — Ferris State University
- College of Innovations and Solutions, Marketing — Lake Superior State University
- Marketing or Marketing Communications — Northwood University
Contact one of these companies and ask for an informational interview, to see if you can job shadow, or to find out if they hire interns.
Sample Job Titles...
- Market Research Analyst
- Market Research Consultant
- Market Research Specialist
Hear It From The Pros
10-Year Job Growth Projections
Wage Range & Median 10-County Region
Annual Hires Regionally
Other Regional Career Resources
Learn more about Marketing Research Analysts & Marketing Specialists at O*NET Online.