Protect computer networks and the information within them. Plan, implement, and monitor cyber security measures. Help determine information compromised in a data breach and how to prevent future breaches.
Make a Difference
A Typical Day
- Develop plans to safeguard computer files against accidental or unauthorized modification, destruction, or disclosure and to meet emergency data processing needs.
- Monitor current reports of computer viruses to determine when to update virus protection systems.
- Encrypt data transmissions and erect firewalls to conceal confidential information.
- Perform risk assessments and execute tests of data processing system.
- Modify computer security files to incorporate new software, correct errors, or change individual access status.
Professional Certification and/or Associate's Degree
Education & Training
Regional employers often hire graduates of these programs.
Explore This Career
Try it before you buy it!
The Local Advantage Learning Pathway
Northwest Education Services (formerly TBAISD) Career Tech Center - Information Technology
CTC articulation to:
NMC articulation to:
Contact one of these companies and ask for an informational interview, to see if you can job shadow, or to find out if they hire interns.
Sample Job Titles...
- Information Security Analyst
- Information Security Specialist
- IT Security Analyst
- Network Security Analyst
- Security Analyst
Hear It From The Pros
10-Year Job Growth Projections
Wage Range & Median 10-County Region
Annual Hires Regionally
Other Regional Career Resources
Cyber Professional Organization, Local Chapter: Information Systems Security Association, gt-issa.org
More about Cyber careers:
Real World Career Pathways
It doesn't have to be a straight shot! Hear from people who have taken unique pathways.