Combine science, math, and critical thinking skills to complete daily tasks. Perform routine medical laboratory tests for the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of disease. May work under the supervision of a medical technologist. Analyze test results and communicate findings. As shown by the COVID pandemic, this is a very important job, and if you want to help in a critical area of healthcare, you might consider this career.
A Typical Day
- Conduct chemical analyses of body fluids, such as blood or urine, using microscope or automated analyzer to detect abnormalities or diseases and enter findings into computer.
- Analyze the results of tests or experiments to ensure conformity to specifications, using special mechanical or electrical devices.
- Set up, maintain, calibrate, clean, and test sterility of medical laboratory equipment.
- Prepare standard volumetric solutions or reagents to be combined with samples, following standardized formulas or experimental procedures.
- May be responsible for collecting blood from patients.
- Work independently and coordinate with other healthcare professionals for best patient care.
Associate Degree or 60 credit hours
Education & Training
Regional employers often hire graduates of these programs.
Explore This Career
Try it before you buy it!
Northwest Education Services (formerly TBAISD) Career Tech Center - Allied Health
HS Science and College Prep classes
The Local Advantage Learning Pathway
Northwest Education Services (formerly TBAISD) Allied Health
Tour the Munson Laboratory as part of the program.
To save on college expenses, start coursework at NMC and then transfer to Ferris State University to complete the degree.
Munson Healthcare Otsego Memorial Hospital offers internships to Northern Michigan University students. Some local companies offer significant sign-on bonuses when hired!
Contact one of these companies and ask for an informational interview, to see if you can job shadow, or to find out if they hire interns.
Sample Job Titles...
- Certified Clinical Laboratory Technician
- Clinical Laboratory Technician (Clinical Lab Technician)
Hear It From The Pros
10-Year Job Growth Projections
Wage Range & Median 10-County Region
Annual Hires Regionally
Other Regional Career Resources
Learn more about Medical Lab Technicians at O*NET Online.
Professional and Certifying Organizations:
National Accreditation Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences - international accreditation
American Society of Clinical Pathology (ASCP) - certification accepted by Munson after accredited program and internship
Real World Career Pathways
It doesn't have to be a straight shot! Hear from people who have taken unique pathways.