Draw blood for tests, transfusions, donations, or research. Explain the procedure to patients and may assist in the recovery of patients with adverse reactions.
Make a Difference
A Typical Day
- Organize or clean blood-drawing trays, ensuring that all instruments are sterile and all needles, syringes, or related items are of first-time use.
- Engage with clients in confident, friendly manner--including verifying client matches blood draw requisition forms.
- Draw blood from veins by vacuum tube, syringe, or butterfly venipuncture methods.
- Match laboratory requisition forms to specimen tubes.
- Dispose of contaminated sharps, blood or other biohazard fluids or tissue in accordance with applicable laws, standards, and policies.
Training credential or associates degree.
Education & Training
Regional employers often hire graduates of these programs.
Elsewhere in Michigan
Phlebotomy Certification program:
Phlebotomy Training Specialists - Grand Rapids and Detroit areas
Explore This Career
Try it before you buy it!
Northwest Education Services (formerly TBAISD) Career Tech Center - Allied Health
Take biology and chemistry classes
The Local Advantage Learning Pathway
Northwest Education Services (formerly TBAISD) Career Tech Center – Allied Health
Work for Munson and participate in internal training program. Munson will pay for your Phlebotomist training at NCMC.
Take advantage of experiencing all areas of a hospital to inform your next career move! Common next steps include Medical Laboratory Science, Nursing, or Pre-Med.
Contact one of these companies and ask for an informational interview, to see if you can job shadow, or to find out if they hire interns.
Sample Job Titles...
- Phlebotomy Technician
- Registered Phlebotomist