Nearly all areas of construction rely on plumbers. If you enjoy working with your hands and problem-solving, then this trade is for you. There will always be a need for reliable plumbers. Plumbers install, repair and maintain drainage and water systems in residential, commercial and/or industrial buildings. This may seem like an unpleasant job, but plumbers are very important, and well-paid for their work.
Make a Difference
A Typical Day
- Review blueprints, building codes, or specifications to determine work details or procedures.
- Locate and mark the position of pipe installations, connections, passage holes, or fixtures in structures.
- Assemble pipe sections, tubing, or fittings, using couplings, clamps, cement, plastic solvent, caulking, or soldering, brazing, or welding equipment.
- Install pipe assemblies, fittings, valves, appliances such as dishwashers or water heaters, or fixtures such as sinks or toilets and test for leaks.
- Maintain or repair plumbing by replacing defective washers, replacing or mending broken pipes, or opening clogged drains.
- Install underground storm, sanitary, or water piping systems, extending piping as needed to connect fixtures and plumbing.
2 year degree + apprenticeship
Education & Training
Regional employers often hire graduates of these programs.
Northwest Lower Michigan
Construction Technology Degrees and Certificates
— Northwest Michigan College
Elsewhere in Michigan
Center for Certification Training & Testing
— Ferris State University
Plumbing and Pipe Fitting
— Macomb Community College
Industrial Training Program
— Washtenaw Community College
Explore This Career
Try it before you buy it!
Job shadow plumbing installation or repair at a family/friend's home or business.
The Local Advantage Learning Pathway
Northwest Education Services' Career Tech Center Construction Trades to understand the industry and seek plumbing assistant work
NMC 2-yr degree: A.S. in Construction Technology
Certificate in Electrical/Plumbing (ex. if have a different degree already)
Get apprenticeship with U.A. Local 85, including certification to be a
- Journeyperson license
- Journey-level pipefitter/steamfitter
- UPC Journeyman Plumber
Contact one of these companies and ask for an informational interview, to see if you can job shadow, or to find out if they hire interns.
Sample Job Titles...
- pipe fitter
Hear It From The Pros
10-Year Job Growth Projections
Wage Range & Median 10-County Region
Annual Hires Regionally
Other Regional Career Resources
Real World Career Pathways
It doesn't have to be a straight shot! Hear from people who have taken unique pathways.