Assess patient health problems and needs. Develop and implement nursing care plans and maintain medical records. Administer nursing care to ill, injured, convalescent, or disabled patients. May advise patients on health maintenance and disease prevention or provide case management. Registration required. This is distinct from the Licensed Practical Nurse and is increasingly considered the preferred basic credential for nurses.
Make a Difference
A Typical Day
- Maintain accurate, detailed reports and records.
- Administer medications to patients and monitor patients for reactions or side effects.
- Record patients' medical information and vital signs.
- Monitor, record, and report symptoms or changes in patients' conditions.
Bachelor’s Degree and pass NCLEX-RN
Education & Training
Regional employers often hire graduates of these programs.
Northwest Lower Michigan
Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN)
— Northwestern Michigan College
LPN to RN Transition Program (AAS)
— North Central Michigan College
Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
— Davenport University (NMC University Center)
- Note: Munson Medical Center provides tuition reimbursement for employees who wish to pursue a bachelor’s or master’s degree.
Explore This Career
Try it before you buy it!
Tour North Ed's Career Tech Center – Health Services program.
Volunteer in a health care setting to see if it is the right fit for you.
The Local Advantage Learning Pathway
Contact one of these companies and ask for an informational interview, to see if you can job shadow, or to find out if they hire interns.
Sample Job Titles...
- Charge Nurse
- Staff RN
- Emergency Room Nurse
- Cardiology Nurse
- Oncology Nurse
- Public Health Nurse
- Home Health Nurse
Hear It From The Pros
10-Year Job Growth Projections
Wage Range & Median 10-County Region
Annual Hires Regionally
Real World Career Pathways
It doesn't have to be a straight shot! Hear from people who have taken unique pathways.