Design, write, test, debug/troubleshoot and maintaining the source code of computer programs. This source code is written in a programming language so the computer can 'understand' it. Software engineers support every industry and career family, so regardless of your other interests, there is likely a career in software development that is connected! Software developers also typically have specializations in fields such as web development, Java, Mainframe, Client, Server and others.
Make a Difference
A Typical Day
- Design new programs or applications as part of a team.
- Modify existing software to correct errors, to adapt it to new hardware, or to upgrade interfaces and improve performance.
- Develop or direct software system testing or validation procedures.
- Direct software programming and development of documentation.
- Consult with customers or other departments on project status, proposals, or technical issues, such as software system design or maintenance.
Associate or Bachelor Degree
Education & Training
Regional employers often hire graduates of these programs.
Elsewhere in Michigan
Bachelor's of Science
Computer Information Systems
The Local Advantage Learning Pathway
Northwest Education Services Career Tech Center
- Web & Game Programming
Northwestern Michigan College (NMC), Associate in Applied Science degree
Computer Information Technology - Developer
Contact one of these companies and ask for an informational interview, to see if you can job shadow, or to find out if they hire interns.
Sample Job Titles...
- Web Developer
- Application (App) Developer
- Software Engineer
- Software Development Engineer
- Application Integration Engineer
- Infrastructure Engineer
- Network Engineer
- Systems Engineer
- Software Architect
Hear It From The Pros
10-Year Job Growth Projections
Wage Range & Median 10-County Region
Annual Hires Regionally
Click to explore.
Real World Career Pathways
It doesn't have to be a straight shot! Hear from people who have taken unique pathways.