Work to maintain, install, and upkeep the machines that allow production facilities to run smoothly. Maintain, adjust, or install the machinery that keeps production flow steady. The technical skills learned here are a great place to start if you ever have considered becoming an engineer. Learn more about being an Engineer here: Engineer Career Profile.
Make a Difference
A Typical Day
- Repair or maintain the operating condition of industrial production or processing machinery or equipment.
- Repair or replace broken or malfunctioning components of machinery or equipment.
- Disassemble machinery or equipment to remove parts and make repairs.
- Observe and test the operation of machinery or equipment to diagnose malfunctions
- Reassemble equipment after completion of inspections, testing, or repairs.
- Clean, lubricate, or adjust parts, equipment, or machinery.
- Examine parts for defects, such as breakage or excessive wear
High School Diploma
Education & Training
Regional employers often hire graduates of these programs.
Northwest Lower Michigan
— Northwestern Michigan College
Elsewhere in Michigan
Engineering, Technology, and Design
— Macomb Community College
Explore This Career
Try it before you buy it!
Look for engineering classes or programs in your school. Organizations such as FIRST offer a wide range of options to begin your engineering journey.
The Local Advantage Learning Pathway
Look into programs at your Career Tech Center like the Engineering Academy or the Precision Machining Program through Northwest Education Services at the TBAISD Career Tech Center. The Engineering Academy has an articulation agreement with Northwestern Michigan College.
If you are ever looking to specialize further, consider joining a 2-year program such as the Engineering Program offered by Northwestern Michigan College.
Across the country, an Industrial Machinery Mechanic will normally get a pay level of $35,720 to $82,450 based on experience and talent and will most likely receive an average wage of $57,350 each year. It is an entry level opportunity that leads to a family sustaining career with experience and specialization. (Recruiter.com)
Contact one of these companies and ask for an informational interview, to see if you can job shadow, or to find out if they hire interns.
Sample Job Titles...
- Industrial Machinery Mechanic
- Industrial Mechanic
- Loom Fixer
- Machine Adjuster
- Maintenance Mechanic
Hear It From The Pros
10-Year Job Growth Projections
Wage Range & Median 10-County Region
Annual Hires Regionally
Click to explore.