Create systems and products or design the way things are made. Develop, test, and evaluate mechanical systems in an industrial production setting. Work to create systems and products or design the way things are made. Industrial engineers are the people that make machines that make things. If you've seen the show "How it's Made", you've seen the work industrial engineers do.
Make a Difference
A Typical Day
- Estimate production costs, cost-saving methods, and the effects of product design changes on expenditures for management review, action, and control.
- Plan operations to fabricate and assemble parts or products.
- Analyze data and product specifications to create standards of production.
- Work with clients, vendors, staff, and management personnel.
- Evaluate precision and accuracy of production and testing equipment and engineering drawings to formulate corrective action plans.
- Recommend methods for improving the use of personnel, material, and utilities.
Education & Training
Regional employers often hire graduates of these programs.
Northwest Lower Michigan
— Northwestern Michigan College
Elsewhere in Michigan
Mechanical Engineering, BS
— Michigan Technological University
School of Engineering and Technology
— Lake Superior State University
Explore This Career
Try it before you buy it!
Get involved or start an after-school program such as one of the challenges offered by FIRST Robotics.
The Local Advantage Learning Pathway
Northwest Education Services offer an excellent Engineering Academy to start your journey!
Attend a 2-year engineering program at a college like NMC.
Transfer to a 4-year school. The following have transfer agreements with NMC:
Contact one of these companies and ask for an informational interview, to see if you can job shadow, or to find out if they hire interns.
Sample Job Titles...
- Continuous Improvement Engineer
- Facilities Engineer
- Industrial Engineer
- Operations Engineer
- Plant Engineer
Hear It From The Pros
10-Year Job Growth Projections
Wage Range & Median 10-County Region
Annual Hires Regionally
Click to explore.