Research, design, develop, test, or supervise the manufacturing and installation of electrical equipment, components, or systems for commercial, industrial, military, or scientific use. Electrical engineers can work in a variety of environments, including workshops, offices, and sometimes outside to test how well their designs work, while keeping people safe.
Make a Difference
A Typical Day
- Operate computer-assisted engineering or design software or equipment to perform engineering tasks.
- Prepare technical drawings, specifications of electrical systems, or topographical maps to ensure that installation and operations conform to standards and customer requirements.
- Confer with engineers, customers, or others to discuss existing or potential engineering projects or products.
- Design, implement, maintain, or improve electrical instruments, equipment, facilities, components, products, or systems for commercial, industrial, or domestic purposes.
Education & Training
Regional employers often hire graduates of these programs.
Explore This Career
Try it before you buy it!
See if your school has a robotics or an engineering team. Join an after school program.
Look at one of the educational programs available in the local advantage pathway.
The Local Advantage Learning Pathway
Take advanced math and science classes at your school: Physics, Chemistry, Algebra 2, Pre-Calculus, Calculus, etc.
Apply to join advanced curriculum programs, such as Sci-Ma-Tech at Traverse City Central and West High Schools.
Ask your high school counselor about dual enrollment at NMC.
NMC's Engineering program articulates to 7 Michigan Technological University (MTU) engineering programs. In the 2+2 Program, NMC Engineering students can transfer to Michigan Tech as a junior, saving you a lot of time and money! You will graduate with both an Associate's degree from NMC and a Bachelor's degree from MTU.
Complete your undergraduate degree. Transfer from NMC to a 4-year university. For example,
— Michigan Tech University (MTU)
Consider post-graduate education to advance your career.
Contact one of these companies and ask for an informational interview, to see if you can job shadow, or to find out if they hire interns.
Sample Job Titles...
- Materials processing managers
- Project managers
- Robotics engineers
- System developers
- Biomedical engineers
- Design Engineer
- Project Engineer
Hear It From The Pros
10-Year Job Growth Projections
Wage Range & Median 10-County Region
Annual Hires Regionally
Other Regional Career Resources
Real World Career Pathways
It doesn't have to be a straight shot! Hear from people who have taken unique pathways.