Support engineers to plan and design tools, engines, machines, and other manufacturing equipment. Oversee installation, operation, quality control, maintenance, and repair of equipment. Specialize in areas such as unmanned systems, underwater systems, healthcare technologies, and many more! This career is often a stepping stone to a job as a full engineer.
Make a Difference
A Typical Day
Engineering technicians help solve technical problems in many ways.
- They build or set up equipment, conduct experiments, and collect data and calculate results.
- They might also help to make a model of new equipment.
- Some technicians work in quality control, where they check products, do tests, and collect data.
- In manufacturing, they help to design and develop products.
- They also find ways to produce things efficiently.
Education & Training
Regional employers often hire graduates of these programs.
The Local Advantage Learning Pathway
NMC Engineering Technology (can be specialized if desired, i.e. Marine Technology)
Seek out on the job training or pursue a bachelor's degree.
NMC has articulation agreements with several 4-year universities
Contact one of these companies and ask for an informational interview, to see if you can job shadow, or to find out if they hire interns.
Sample Job Titles...
- Industrial Engineering Technician
- Mechanical Engineering Technician
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering Technician
Hear It From The Pros
10-Year Job Growth Projections
Wage Range & Median Michigan
Annual Hires Regionally
Real World Career Pathways
It doesn't have to be a straight shot! Hear from people who have taken unique pathways.