Apply theory and principles of mechanical engineering to modify, develop, test, or adjust machinery and equipment under direction of engineering staff or physical scientists.
Make a Difference
A Typical Day
- Perform engineering duties in planning and designing tools, engines, machines, and other mechanically functioning equipment.
- Support mechanical engineers in the design, develop, test, and manufacture of mechanical devices.
- Oversee installation, operation, maintenance, and repair of equipment such as centralized heat, gas, water, and steam systems.
Education & Training
Regional employers often hire graduates of these programs.
Northwest Lower Michigan
Get started with classes at Northwestern Michigan College.
Take engineering classes before you transfer.
Complete your general education requirements at Northwestern Michigan College before you transfer to a 4-year school.
Elsewhere in Michigan
Manufacturing Engineering Technology
— Lake Superior State University
Mechanical Engineering Technology, BS
— Michigan Tech University (MTU)
Mechanical Engineering Technology
— Ferris State University
Explore This Career
Try it before you buy it!
Look into classes at Northwest Education Services (formerly TBAISD) Career Tech Center in either the Engineering Academy or Precision Machining Technology programs.
The Local Advantage Learning Pathway
Check out Northwest Education Services’ Engineering Academy or Precision Machining Technology to explore engineering!
Apply to join advanced curriculum programs:
Ask your high school counselor about dual enrollment at NMC.
Attend a 2-year program at a community college to fulfill your general degree requirements like NMC's Engineering program.
Build an Engineering Technology program around your interests.
Apply for a local apprenticeship!
Transfer Guide from NMC to MTU for Mechanical Engineering Technology.
Transfer to a 4-year university to finish your degree.
— University of Michigan
— Michigan State University
— Wayne State University
— Kettering University
Contact one of these companies and ask for an informational interview, to see if you can job shadow, or to find out if they hire interns.
Sample Job Titles...
- Engineering Lab Technician or Laboratory Technician
- Engineering Technical Analyst
- Maintenance Technician
- Mechanical Designer or Mechanical Technician
- Process Engineering Technician or Process Technician
- Research and Development Technician
Hear It From The Pros
10-Year Job Growth Projections
Wage Range & Median 10-County Region
Annual Hires Regionally
Other Regional Career Resources
Click to explore.
Real World Career Pathways
It doesn't have to be a straight shot! Hear from people who have taken unique pathways.