Apply theory and principles of mechanical engineering to modify, develop, test, or adjust machinery and equipment under direction of engineering staff or physical scientists.
Make a Difference
A Typical Day
- Perform engineering duties in planning and designing tools, engines, machines, and other mechanically functioning equipment.
- Support mechanical engineers in the design, develop, test, and manufacture of mechanical devices.
- Oversee installation, operation, maintenance, and repair of equipment such as centralized heat, gas, water, and steam systems.
Education & Training
Regional employers often hire graduates of these programs.
The Local Advantage Learning Pathway
Attend a 2-year program at a community college to fulfill your general degree requirements like NMC's Engineering program.
Build an Engineering Technology program around your interests.
Apply for a local apprenticeship!
Contact one of these companies and ask for an informational interview, to see if you can job shadow, or to find out if they hire interns.
Sample Job Titles...
- Engineering Lab Technician or Laboratory Technician
- Engineering Technical Analyst
- Maintenance Technician
- Mechanical Designer or Mechanical Technician
- Process Engineering Technician or Process Technician
- Research and Development Technician
Hear It From The Pros
10-Year Job Growth Projections
Wage Range & Median 10-County Region
Annual Hires Regionally
Other Regional Career Resources
Real World Career Pathways
It doesn't have to be a straight shot! Hear from people who have taken unique pathways.