Provide technical support, advice, and assistance to consumers and businesses with technical, hardware, and software system problems. Specialists generally deal directly with end users and must effectively communicate answers in a way they can understand.
A Typical Day
- Answer questions or resolve computer problems for clients in person, or via telephone or electronically, i.e. installation, word processing, electronic mail, and operating systems.
- Try to replicate the user's issue or concern; escalate to more experienced support staff or engineering as needed.
- Develop scripts for resolution of common issues.
- Load and configure software on computers.
- Install hardware and drivers such as printers, and copiers
- Maintain corporate support systems such as adding users to Outlook, Badge systems, etc.
Education & Training
Regional employers often hire graduates of these programs.
Northwest Lower Michigan
Northwestern Michigan College
CIT - Computer Support Specialist
Elsewhere in Michigan
Ferris State University
Computer Information Technology
Explore This Career
Try it before you buy it!
- AP Computer Science at your High School
- Information Technology program at the Northwest Education Services (formerly TBAISD) Career Tech Center
- Dual enroll at NMC - CIT 122A Comp & Internet Basics I (1 cr)
- Dual enroll at NMC - CIT 210
The Local Advantage Learning Pathway
Northwest Education Services (formerly TBAISD) Career Center Tech - Information Technology
Northwestern Michigan Technology - Computer Support Specialist
Take Industry Certifications at NMC Aeropark Professional Testing
Contact one of these companies and ask for an informational interview, to see if you can job shadow, or to find out if they hire interns.
Sample Job Titles...
- Computer Support Specialist
- Computer Technician
- Support Technician
- IT Specialist
- Help Desk Technician/Analyst
- End User Support Analyst
Hear It From The Pros
10-Year Job Growth Projections
Wage Range & Median 10-County Region
Annual Hires Regionally
Click to explore.