Perform engineering duties in planning and designing tools, engines, machines, and other mechanically functioning equipment. Oversee installation, operation, maintenance, and repair of equipment such as centralized heat, gas, water, and steam systems.
Make a Difference
A Typical Day
- Read and interpret blueprints, technical drawings, schematics, or computer-generated reports.
- Research, design, evaluate, install, operate, or maintain mechanical products, equipment, systems or processes to meet requirements.
- Confer with engineers or other personnel to implement operating procedures, resolve system malfunctions, or provide technical information.
- Develop, coordinate, or monitor all aspects of production, including selection of manufacturing methods, fabrication, or operation of product designs.
- Investigate equipment failures or difficulties to diagnose faulty operation and recommend remedial actions.
Education & Training
Regional employers often hire graduates of these programs.
Explore This Career
Try it before you buy it!
- Take an engineering class at your high school
The Local Advantage Learning Pathway
Associates Degree/Engineering Certificate -
Bachelor's degree (NMC has articulation agreements with several Michigan universities, making transfer of credits easy and saving you $$$)
Contact one of these companies and ask for an informational interview, to see if you can job shadow, or to find out if they hire interns.
Sample Job Titles...
- Design Engineer
- Quality Engineer
- Process Engineer
- Manufacturing Engineer
- Sensor Engineer
- Project Engineer
Hear It From The Pros
Job Growth Projections 2019-2029
Wage Range & Median 10-County Region
Annual Hires Regionally
Click to explore.