Analyze and interpret accounting records, prepare financial statements, and help advise clients on financial matters. Heavily involved with mathematics and economics. Work primarily in an office setting but increasing remote opportunities. In small businesses, this and many other responsibilities may fall to a single employee.
Make a Difference
A Typical Day
- Examine records and interview workers to make sure transactions are recorded and laws and regulations are followed.
- Prepare or analyze accounting records and financial statements to assess accuracy.
- Review documents for differences and fix them.
- Examine inventory to double-check records.
- Analyze business operations, trends, costs, revenues, financial commitments, and obligations.
Education & Training
Regional employers often hire graduates of these programs.
Northwest Lower Michigan
Accounting Degrees and Certificates
— Northwestern Michigan College
Explore This Career
Try it before you buy it!
Get involved with the family budget. If possible, work with your guardians to gain an understanding of their finances and expenditures. Ask your high school counselor about North Ed's Business Careers program.
The Local Advantage Learning Pathway
Start by taking classes locally through NMC's Accounting Program.
Transfer to a 4-year school to finish your degree.
Contact one of these companies and ask for an informational interview, to see if you can job shadow, or to find out if they hire interns.
Sample Job Titles...
Business Operations Specialist, Accounting Officer, Audit Partner, Auditor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Cost Accountant, Financial Auditor